The function of our Flight Arrivals page is to facilitate a rapid exchange of information, allowing other recorders to pick up on trends and encourage further recording. Please post news and photos of migrant butterflies, moths and dragonflies. The site may also be used to post extra-limital records of resident species that may relate to immigration, but we would urge caution in naming sites where a resident population may be present.
To view news or report sightings to flight arrivals click here.
Please feel free to post your photos. Files must not exceed 2MB. Images posted on the Flight Arrivals page may be used for promotion of the news service and may appear in the journal Atropos but the photographer’s name will be acknowledged and copyright remains with the photographer.
If you would like to report news for publication in Atropos without it appearing on this page please contact us.
We would ask recorders to follow these guidelines:
- To post on our Flight Arrivals you must be registered as a member of the site. This is a very easy process and will only take a couple of minutes. After you have received the password by email it is possible to change it to one of your choice by clicking on ‘My Account’.
- Please think carefully before submitting information to the Flight Arrivals page. Will it cause problems with landowners/site managers? Is the species sensitive to human pressure? If in doubt just give the county/area rather than the exact site of the record.
- Though this page is regularly monitored, in the interests of making news available quickly information is not validated before it appears here. Inevitably this means that inaccurate information will appear from time to time. It is therefore important that information is not published without prior validation.
- For moth-trapping records please give the date the trap was switched on rather than the morning after.
- Please avoid swamping the site with reports of small numbers of common immigrant species when these species are appearing on a daily basis.
- Submitting information to this site is no substitution for sending your data to the county recorder. For a list of county butterfly and moth recorders click here.
- Images posted on Flight Arrivals may be published in the journal and on Atropos social media but will always be accredited. Our monthly photo competition winner can be seen on our home page here.
- By using Flight Arrivals, you consent to the use of your image and accreditation using your name and sighting location. We may contact you using you registered contact details to verify information regarding a sighting that you have submitted. We hold and manage the data under article 89 of GDPR which permits the use of information for the purpose of “archiving in public interest”, which means maintaining permanent records for future analysis, research and identification purposes.
- Atropos reserves the right to withdraw any information from this site without prior notice.
- Atropos cannot accept any responsibility or liabilities from information appearing on this page.
To post your message click here.